There are no coincidences in life. The Universe (Chi) takes us where we need to be, we just need to be awake to realize it.
About 18 years ago my wife and I were looking for an activity to do together to get some exercise and help stave off the aging process. We saw a listing for an evening T’ai Chi class at the local vocational school. I had always had somewhat of an interest in martial arts, so we decided to give it a try. We enjoyed the experience of Wu Style T’ai Chi, completed the 8-week class, however the class was not offered again. Some years later T’ai Chi was back on the schedule of classes being offered. By this time my spouse had found Yoga and other exercise classes. Having enjoyed the previous class so much, I pursued the T’ai Chi class on my own, even though this time it was Yang Style T’ai Chi. I enjoyed this very much and continued studying in this class for several years. It was more of a martial-art feel than Wu style, and I felt great benefits in energy, balance, and peace-of-mind in its practice.
Unfortunately, again, the school discontinued offering the class. In the meantime I had developed degenerative arthritis of the hips and was unable to continue doing the kicks and deep lunges that the practice required, so I stopped doing T’ai Chi altogether. Shortly after this I had a total hip replacement. I did the recommended rehabilitation with zeal, and eventually got the go-ahead from the doctor to resume any physical activities that I could tolerate. I found that T’ai Chi had just recently been placed back on the class schedule at the school, so I decided to sign up and see if I could do it. When I arrived at the classroom, the sign on the door said “T’ai Chi Chih”, not “T’ai Chi”, and there was a different teacher in the room. I decided since I was already there, I might as well see what the addition of the word “Chih” did to the practice. After half an hour of the class, my hands tingling and pulsating with Chi, I was in love with this practice. 1 HAD AWAKENED TO THE FACT THAT T’AI CHI CHIH HAD FOUND ME, I DIDN’T FIND IT! I continued it for four or five 8-week sessions. I felt that this could be what I have wanted for several decades!
Having been a Physical Education Major, I had always wanted to be a Teacher/Coach, but circumstances lead me in another direction. I asked my teacher how to become a T’ai Chi Chih teacher. She provided me with the coaching required to enter the Teacher Training program, which I pursued vigorously. Finally, I had become a Teacher/Coach and couldn’t be happier teaching T’ai Chi Chih. I am so thankful that the Chi lead me in this direction, and that I awakened to the opportunity that was set before me. I am now so pleased to be able to share the gift of T’ai Chi Chih with anyone that is willing to learn it!
Personally, I have noticed many benefits from practicing T’ai Chi Chih. Some of them include:
- Having been an offensive lineman on a Division One football team, I have developed arthritis in my hands and hip joints. After a few weeks of T’ai Chi Chih, I noticed that the pain in my fingers was greatly reduced. There was nerve and muscle pain from my total hip replacement. I don’t like taking pain killers, but until I started T’ai Chi Chih, it was the only way to get a little relief. Now the pain was gone and so are the pills.
- T’ai Chi Chih has calmed my aggressive reactions in response to actions of others, especially where it concerns driving. This happened very gradually, and was pointed out to me as we were driving on the highway. Another driver had cut in front of me, very close. I felt my wife staring at me, so I asked her what was wrong, and she said, “1 can’t believe you let him get away with that”! I didn’t realize that I had just ‘let it go’ and didn’t react. In the past I would have had an angry, unsafe reaction. My wife wanted to know what I had done with her real husband!
- Panic attacks. During stressful times I have been subject to occasional panic attacks. Since practicing regularly, I have not had a panic attack. A couple times I have awakened and felt the panic rising, so I got up and did a few minutes of Rocking Motion, which grounded me and relaxed me, and I was able to avoid the panic and return to sleep.
Thanks to my teachers for continually emphasizing to bring the concentration to the soles of the feet. By being grounded and centered I am able to be present in the moment and not think about what I have to get done, what happened at work today and so on. By continually working on maintaining focus in the soles of the feet, the flow of Energy increased, and I felt a sense of well-being. Joy was there. It felt so right! It was shortly after that that I noticed the increased joy spilling over into my everyday life. The smiles of my grandchildren, the beauty of a cardinal at the bird feeder, sunsets, and many other things that I never took the time to really see. These things were always there, but my awareness of them and the joy of being present in them is greater.
You were led to click on this page for a reason.
Join one of my classes or contact me to find out why you Should!
Please email me for current online class information and registration details/links.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
VerifiedVerified Listing!: YesTeaching: Featuring, Tai Chi Chih, and Zoom (link available)Teaching specialties:
Phone: (440) 238-9051Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgAddress (Building or establishment name): 16174 Bagley Rd
- Ongoing Classes
- Beginner Classes
- Teacher Prep Classes
- Seated TCC
- Chronic or Disabling Conditions
- Memory Impaired
- Cancer Patients
- Nursing Homes
- Incarcerated or Recently Released
- Transitioning from Homelessness
United StatesTeaches online: YesThere are no coincidences in life. The Universe (Chi) takes us where we need to be, we just need to be awake to realize it. About 18 years ago my wife and I were looking for an activity to do together to get some exercise and help stave off the aging process. We saw a listing for an evening T’ai Read more...
Teacher Categories: Featuring, Tai Chi Chih, and Zoom (link available)